Friday, May 13, 2011

Kiln Gloves!

Gloves are pretty damed important when it comes to messing with temperatures upwards of 1800°. There are 3 main types types used by kiln users from what I have read. They are welders gloves, Kevlar gloves and Zetex gloves.

Welders gloves will cover your forearms and protect you from very short exposures to the kiln. They would not be used for raking the glass, or bending bracelets or the like. I'm seeing prices from $4 to about $20 currently from a brief search. Looking high and low I cannot seem to find a consistent heat rating for this type of glove. My educated guess would be about 350°.

Kevlar gloves are good for about 800 °and temporarily up to 1,000°. These seem to be going for anywhere between $30 - $50. From what I'm reading this is the most common type used with the kiln. You can use this type to rake the glass or manipulate it.

Finally, you have Zetex gloves. Zetex comes in two flavors, Zetex and Zetex plus. These gloves are rated anywhere from 1,000° up to 2,000° for temporary exposure. They are made out of a treated fiberglass. Prices are ranging upwards of $80 for these gloves.

Personally, I want to be as safe as possible. 3rd degree burns are not my thing. I've gone for a pair of 14" Zetex plus gloves for $60. The rating from the manufacturer says these should be good up to 1800°. This makes me feel pretty safe and I think it is well worth the extra money. A trip to the ER would certainly cost more. I'm all about avoiding that.

No comments:

Post a Comment