Sunday, May 29, 2011

Full Fuse Test... Successful!, On to Slumping

 The results are in! The total firing time for the full fuse for my 6" x 6" piece was 8:15 according to the kiln. It took another 8 and a half hours to get down to approximately room temperature (It actually got down to about 150° and I couldn't take the waiting any longer, so I vented the kiln). I am extremely happy with how this turned out. I really had not done my most terrific job of cutting the glass before testing out the full fuse. Again, impatience. Who me? Couldn't be!

Before I hit the hay last night, I prepared my mold by putting a few coats of kiln wash on it. I let it dry over night so it would be ready, right when I needed it today. The bottom picture is of the plate of glass set in the mold getting ready to fire. It is much smaller than the mold is designed for, but I'm reasonably comfortable that it will work out just fine. I made sure that each side of the plate was the same distance from the top of the mold, to ensure even sides when slumped.

For slumping I am using the following slump schedule:
Segment Ramp Temp Hold
1 150° 300° 15
2 300° 1235° 15
3 AFAP 950° 60
4 150° 800° 10

Here's to crossing my fingers for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment